| FTP Tutorials - Dreamweaver MX
Macromedia Dreamweaver MX is a powerful WYSIWYG website development tool which is supported by all VIP PowerNet hosting services. It offer an intuitive environment for building cross-platform sites that generates HTML code neatly and efficiently. Dreamweaver is a favorite of multimedia designers, since it easily integrates with other Macromedia applications, like Flash and Shockwave.
This tutorial will guide you through the first steps of configuring Dreamweaver MX to connect to your VIP PowerNet server and using Dreamweaver MX to upload your files to the server. To follow this tutorial you will need to have your VIP PowerNet Member ID and password, a copy of Macromedia Dreamweaver MX installed on your computer and an internet connection.
Recommended Software: Dreamweaver MX
1. Start the Dreamweaver MX and select "New Site..." in the Site menu.
2. In the Site Definition window, enter your site name and click "Next".
3. Select "No, I do not want to use a server technology." and click "Next".
4. Select "Edit local copies on my machine, then upload to server when ready." then specify the location of the files on your computer either by entering the path to the files or by clicking the folder icon to browse. When finished, click "Next".
5. Define your Site Remote Info as follows and click "Next".
How do you connect to your remote server? FTP
What is the hostname or FTP address of your Web server? ftp.yourdomain.com
What folder on the server do you want to store your files in? /
What is your FTP Login? your Member ID
What is your FTP Password? your password
(passwords and IDs are case sensitive)
6. Select "No, do not enable check in and check out." and click "Next".
7. Click "Done".
8. Click the Connect icon to connect to your server.
9. Once connected to the server, to upload files to the server click on the Put File(s) icon.
10. Click "OK".
11. Once files are uploaded, they will appear in the file manager window.